Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas cheer

Christmas is steadfastly approaching and it's the happiest time of the year. It's a time to see relatives (yikes), decorate trees and homes (festive) and lend a helping hand to those less fortunate (HELP!). Then there's Festivus. The made up Seinfeld holiday in which it's a time to stare at a metal pole and air your grievances. I wish to celebrate that holiday for this entry. 

Those who know me understand what this means. Those who don't know me, well I've been out of school for over a year now and still have no full-time job. I work one day a week at a bar and am supported by my wife. I wisely chose a degree in journalism. Not my first choice for a degree mind you, but it was a degree you could get a job in unlike screen writing or creative writing, my first two choices. Then print media died. 

We all saw it coming too. We were warned in my senior year how newspapers were dying out, but it was like reasoning with a smoker. You know that one day you're going to die a slow painful death, but you ignore it because it's what you enjoy doing.  

I've been writing for eight years. Everything was fine in the beginning, but I didn't have a degree. Got a few odd jobs at different newspapers. One gave me some creative freedom, which I'm still thankful for to this day. And the profession was good. So, I thought what the hell. Why not major in it for the long run? 

Long story short I'm blogging this to you now so I obviously have not only too much time on my hands, but also nothing to show for $40,000 of debt. 

So what do I want for Christmas do you ask? I don't want clothes. I don't want movies or any TV series. Money is always appreciated, but I don't charity this year either. I would like for the job market to clear back up. I would like to see my degree put to use. But most of all I would like for all of those other people who have been out of work for longer than I have to find a job as well. 

There are people who will read this and say "I get it." Then there are those people who would say "Why is he blogging instead of looking for job?" 

Blogging though is part of my job. My job is writing. It's what I chose to do. Part of my job is also making people aware of what's really out there this Christmas season. 

People living paycheck to paycheck. People picking up odd jobs just to make ends meet. Even people living on less. And those people have to figure out how to have a good Christmas. I never understood that until this year. I've never been wealthy, but I've been comfortable. And I'm still comfortable with a roof over my head and family and friends who are there for me when I need them. Some people don't have that though. 

So think about that as you open your gifts on Christmas day. As you join your family at a table with turkey and all the fixings, remember those people who are eating ramen for Christmas. But I also challenge you that when you go to work each day to remember those people who aren't and think about what you can do to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment