Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Facebook causes

Facebook, the internet phenomenon, is undeniably one of the most influential social networking sites of the 21st century. It seems as though you can't do anything or go anywhere without someone wanting to friend you on Facebook, but this is nothing that new.

The most recent fad to hit the social networking Web site is supporting causes through status updates and profile changes, which is stupid. Now mind you supporting the cause isn't stupid, but this just seems like the lazy way out.

I get that you support the cause, but ultimately what does telling me what color your bra is (breast cancer awareness) or finding out your favorite childhood cartoon (child abuse) do? The answer is simple; nothing.

If you really want to support a cause, donate to it or volunteer for it. It's really that simple. I have to admit that it was nice to reminisce about different cartoons my friends posted, but that's all it was good for. It didn't make me any more aware to child abuse than I already was.

What can you really do to support child abuse victims? Become a foster family for one or work for DCFS and become an advocate for abused kids. Changing your profile on Facebook isn't doing a damn thing. It's merely saying, "I'm a lazy person who is aware of a cause, but don't want to do anything about it." People will argue and tell me this is making other people aware of the cause, but guess what: We all know that breast cancer and child abuse are problems!

Raising awareness is great and all, but a status update of "Red" only makes me aware that you know your colors and graduated kindergarten.

If you really want to support a cause or raise awareness for it, get involved with it in some way. Don't take the lazy way out and think Facebook is a sufficient substitute. While it maybe an influential platform, it's still just words; not actions.

4 comments:

  1. I think facebook causes are dumb, too, but you have to realize that by doing a cute little widespread, but ultimately worthless facebook cause, I'm guessing that it spurs more donations because of response blogs/posts/whatever like these that list actual information about where to donate or where to find more information.

    Just sayin'. Not 100% useless. I'd like to see what donations have been like for Child Abuse causes in the last two months with this new thing spreading across facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think Facebook people who do these causes are actually in it to support the cause. I think they're just in it because it's something to do via Facebook and to go along with a fad.

    I also don't think people as a whole are smart enough to put two and two together. I think you give the general population too much credit. I would love to think that donations for these causes have skyrocketed too, but in reality they probably haven't gone up that much. I appreciate the comment though and will definitely look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. via http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/bra_color_facebook_breast_canc.html

    "Here's the thing," she wrote, "I changed my status, but I don't know anything more about breast cancer or how to protect myself against it. Now all my Facebook friends just know the color of my bra. Is this another example of slacktivism, virtual activism with no real results?"

    Mary Carmichael at Newsweek's The Human Condition blog went so far as to call the whole thing pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about AWARENESS, Tim. I never knew child abuse existed until someone changed their profile picture to a Snork.

    ReplyDelete